While colored mascaras have recently come back in vogue, Brown and Black still take the lead as top color picks.
So which color is right for you? There is no right or wrong answer to this question and it often comes down to personal preference. There are a few pointers, however, that may help sway your decision. For those that don’t know which to choose, here are our top tips:
- Brown mascara on fair haired clients creates a softer, more natural look. For those with blonde, light brown or light red hair, Brown mascara is ideal for daytime looks.
- On dark haired clients, who often have darker lashes to begin with, Black is the more appropriate choice. With darker lashes to begin with, Black will have a more noticeable effect.
- Sometimes the best mascara color choice is a split decision – Black mascara on the top lashes intensifies and defines them while Brown mascara on the bottom adds a softer emphasis to the lower lash line.
- For evenings, regardless of hair color, Black is always the best bet. Makeup is typically heavier and you’ll want to balance that with the darkest lashes possible.
These same basic tips can also be applied to selecting the right color for your eyelash extensions! In addition keep in mind:
- If you are fair haired and getting Black eyelash extensions applied to maximize the impact, you can still soften your daytime look and tone down Black lash extensions with Brown mascara over them.
- Conversely, those who opt for a more natural looking appearance by going with Brown eyelash extensions can darken the Brown extensions for evening with Black mascara.
Just be sure to use eyelash extension safe mascara whenever you have eyelash extensions in place or you risk weakening the extension bond!
- And remember – even if you have eyelash extensions and don’t want to apply mascara over them for a color change, you may still want to emphasize your lower lash line and it’s important for any products around your lash extensions to be safe for them. The lower lashes DO frequently sweep against the upper lash line and using the wrong products on them can affect the life of your extensions! All Xtreme Lashes® mascaras are formulated to be safe for use with eyelash extensions.